Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pack it up, pack it in

Hello! This is Abbie's Clone, here with a guest post while she is away on vacation. I too am about to take a little trip, so what better topic to discuss than packing! I know most people hate to pack for trips, but I relish in the task. I love the challenge of having access to a wide variety of looks on vacation while still having enough room in my suitcase for souvenirs. I also like to think of it as getting to make a bunch of costume decisions all at once - talk about fun! So without further ado, here are my tips for packing:

1. Work from the bottom up

J Crew Factory Ballet Flats via What the Frock?

I start the packing process by deciding on my footwear, with a goal of 2 pairs of shoes, 3 max depending on the types of activities in which I'll be partaking. My upcoming trip is a 10-day jaunt to France (read: lots of walking), so I chose these fabulous flats along with a pair of neutral sandals. Both options are versatile enough to allow for a wide range of accompanying clothing combos, which is helpful but can also lead to over-packing. This leads me to my next tip...

2. Choose clothing with a unifying color palette

Pick mix-and-match pieces that will work together in a variety of ways. Not only will you look super put-together throughout your entire trip, you'll also save space in your luggage.  The amazing Reachel Bagley of Cardigan Empire explains this concept better than I ever could, so check it out, stat. You will not be disappointed! What's my color palette, you ask? It's a bright blend of coral, teal, and taupe.

3. Use accessories to diversify your looks

Can you tell I've been to the J Crew Factory recently? Wilma Bead Necklace via Kaboodle


As with clothing, select accessories that work with your chosen color palette. However, if you feel the need to throw in a few extraneous bangles or an additional necklace then it won't weigh you down too much. I'll be taking the necklace above along with a navy belt, some gold pieces and my go-to diamond CZ studs.

So there you have it, all the info you need for your next trip packed neatly into one guest post. Now go and do the same with your suitcase... bon voyage!

1 comment: